Cape Town Opera in collaboration with the UCT Opera School is proud to present Argento’s Postcard from Morocco. This exotic, colourful one act opera by Pulitzer-prize and Grammy Award winning composer Dominick Argento makes its South African debut at the Artscape Theatre from 19 to 23 November 2014 for five performances only.
Set in the waiting room at a train station, a small group of strangers with their pieces of luggage in varying shapes and sizes become distracted. As conversations begin, secrets remain well hidden but dreams are revealed, making for an amusing music drama.
Mixing Viennese operetta and Wagnerian themes with cabaret, coloratura cadenzas and the blues, this unusual, absurdist opera is not about destinations or journeys: it is about people and the baggage they carry with them through life, providing a rare platform for South Africa’s next young soloists-in-the-making to shine.
The Cape Town Pops Orchestra, under the baton of acclaimed international conductor, Maestro Philip Brunelle will accompany this production’s talented cast. Alan Swerdlow directs Postcard from Morocco with costumes and set design by Michael Mitchell, lighting by Faheem Bardien and choreography Sean Bovim.
Maestro Brunelle conducted the world premiere of the opera on October 14, 1971, at the Cedar Village Theater Minneapolis, Minnesota. “This was my first Argento opera to conduct (he had been a professor of mine at the University of Minnesota so this was quite a dramatic moment for me). Dominick has a wonderful way with setting words and POSTCARD is no exception. The marvelous way in which each of the characters has a musical style, the way he knows how to pace an opera and his amazing sense of color in writing for a chamber ensemble – these are all marvelous. There are very few composers that are skilled at both composing for the voice and for the orchestra – Dominick is one of these. Each of the characters in the opera has such a definite character and Argento gives each one a fantastic aria to sing. He also composed glorious ensembles where each of them can shine. Another sign of his genius”, says Brunelle.
On offer is a special:
- OPERA AND DINNER combo at R200 per person which includes your opera ticket, a Moroccan inspired dinner, and a glass of wine sponsored by Jordan wines. Opera tickets only are priced at R 160. Both are on sale at Computicket.
For further information visit: www.capetownopera.co.za
Postcard from Morocco concludes CTO’s 2014 season and its fifteenth anniversary year. After successful productions of African Angels in Cologne and The Netherlands; Bryn Terfel Cape Town concerts; Showboat in Cape Town and a tour of the United Kingdom for which it received a UK Theatre Award nomination for Best Touring Production; Mandela Trilogy performed in Munich and Porgy & Bess in Bordeaux and Barcelona. Locally, Cape Town Opera’s successful 2014 season featured productions of Il viaggio a Reims, The Marriage of Figaro. Long may the success of Africa’s leading opera company continue into 2015 and beyond.
- Subject to cancel without prior notice.
- Artscape, Cape Town
SHOW DATES AND TIMES:
- Wednesday, 19 November at 7pm
- Thursday, 20 November at 7pm
- Friday, 21 November at 7pm
- Saturday, 22 November at 6pm
- Sunday, 23 November at 2:30pm
-The duration of the performance is 90 minutes, no interval.
Opera ticket only:
R160.00. One price throughout
- Dinner, glass of white and opera ticket R200* per person
* Dinner is served immediately after the performance in the Theatre Well except for Sunday, 23 November 2014 when lunch will be served pre-show at 13h00. All ticket holders must hold onto their ticket stubs and use them to redeem their meal and glass of wine. Regret, no ticket stub – no dinner/lunch.
Senior Citizens and Students only :
- 50 % discount on opera ticket only
on presentation of a valid ID. First come first served basis only.
- Limited to 250 tickets on Sunday, 23 November 2014.
- R80 to add lunch and glass of wine. Bookings only through Computicket
outlets and Artscape Box Office.
- Computicket by
calling: 0861 215 8000
- visit www.computicket.com or
- visit your nearest Computicket outlet.
Row HH R160
**Patrons in this row will be able to use their mobile during the performance to Tweet or post messages on Facebook, but will not be allowed to take or make calls. No pics or recordings are allowed during the performance.
DEBRA DE SOUZA
(m) + 27 82 822 9478
Content published by